Alternative thickening agents currently on the market many varieties, mainly inorganic thickener, cellulose, poly-acrylate associative polyurethane thickener and four categories. Cellulosic thickeners with a long history, many varieties, methyl cellulose, carboxymethyl cellulose, hydroxyethyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, is the mainstream of thickening agent, one of the most commonly used is hydroxyethyl cellulose. Polyacrylate thickeners can basically be divided into two types: one is water soluble polyacrylate; another is acrylic acid, methacrylic acid homopolymer or copolymer emulsion-thickening agent, the thickening agent itself is acidic, alkali or ammonia and to pH8~9 must be used to achieve the thickening effect, also known as the thickening agent for acrylic acid and alkali swelling. Polyurethane thickener is a new development of the associative thickener. Inorganic thickener is a kind of water-swelling and forms thixotropic gels of minerals. Major bentonite and attapulgite, aluminum silicate, bentonite is most commonly used.
Actual use of the thickener can be classified by mechanism of water-thickening agent and two big categories of oil and thickener, the former variety, which is very small.
Thickening agents for the following categories:
(1) inorganic thickener (fumed silica, sodium bentonite and organic bentonite, Diatomite, attapulgite clay, molecular sieve, silica gel).
(2) cellulose (cellulose, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, hydroxyethyl cellulose).
(3) natural polymer and its derivatives (starch, gelatin, sodium alginate, casein, guar gum, Chitosan, Arabic Gum, xanthan gum, soy protein, natural rubber, wool, agar).
(4) synthetic polymer (PAM, polyvinyl alcohol, polyvinyl-pyrrolidone resin, poly ethylene oxide modified paraffin, Cabo, polyacrylate, POLYACRYLIC ester resin copolymer emulsion, BR, modified with styrene-butadiene rubber, polyurethane, polyurea, low molecular weight polyethylene wax).
(5) complex type organic metal compounds (amino alcohols complexed type titanate).
(6) printing thickeners include (activity of thickening agent for dispersion coatings thickener thickener)